For My Recipe You'll Need:
- 6 tbls. coconut oil
- 1 cup rolled oats pulsed to a flour like consistency
- 5 tbls. dried fruit (I used blueberries and apples)
- 3 tbls. candied citrus peel
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2-3 tbls. cane sugar (depending on your preference)
- 1/2 non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg for eggwash
- for an extra protein punch add 2 egg whites to the mix as well
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease or line a baking sheet. Mix the oil into the oat flour, baking powder and sugar until it just comes together in a crumbling way. Next, add the dried fruit along with the candied peel. Lastly, add the yogurt and mix well to combine all ingredients. Section off the dough into rounds about 3 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Press the dough down slightly and place on the baking sheet. Cover with the egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and slightly risen.
Compared to the original recipe which contained 371 calories, 18g of fat and 48g of carbs, my little guys ended up coming in at 216 calories each with 13g of fat and 20g of carbs! Just to name a few comparisons.
I really enjoyed making this otherwise unhealthy treat into something that can be eaten guilt free!
Have you ever tried a fat rascal?
Whats your favorite breakfast pastry?