Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ginger Carrot Soup // Sunday Dinner



*This recipe was adapted from:  http://blog.barre3.com/2013/02/17/28-to-great-recipe-gingered-carrot-soup/

Tonight's dinner was divine.
Yes, divine. 
I saw this soup recipe and I knew in that instant that I was in the mood for it. So I made it. And you should too. 

The recipe
INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
4 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
3 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Sea salt to taste
1 can coconut milk 

PREPARATION:
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the leek and gingerroot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown—about 5 minutes. Add the sherry and carrots and stir to cook for about 1 minute.
2. Add the broth, ground ginger, and salt to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a moderate simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots are tender— about 30 minutes.
3. Puree soup in batches and bring back to pot. Add coconut milk and stir.
4. Return the soup to a clean pot and reheat briefly. Do not let soup boil. Add additional coconut milk if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve.


How I Did It

Grating the ginger created an amazing aroma.

I am now obsessed with using coconut oil in my dishes. I don't know why I haven't started cooking with it earlier! Have you tried coconut oil in your regular dishes before? I am totally hooked. It's that good. 
Okay, let me tell you...the ginger and leeks cooking in the coconut oil made the kitchen smell like a street market on an exotic Asian island. I wish that this picture did your senses the justice that these smells deserve.
I used a hand mixer to puree the veggies with the stock. Then I stirred in the coconut milk.

I served it hot and fresh and ate a veggie burger with some quinoa salad as well. It was meatless Sunday, accidentally. Honestly, I ate like a queen tonight. 

If you try this recipe out, let me know! 

Happy eating!
xoxo
Zoe 



4 comments:

  1. That soup looks delicious! I love the flavour combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome! I am pretty much obsessed with carrots, so I have a feeling that I would definitely LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete